Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Where it really began...a tribute










January 23, 2008 was one of the most difficult days I (we) have ever experienced. We collectively had to make the difficult decision to send our beloved and faithful friend, Chubb across the rainbow bridge. Chubb (AKA Frodo, the Black Bugger, Chubby-Wubby) had endured extreme pain throughout a majority of his life due to two seperate car accidents in which, both times, he was clipped in his back end. For many years we tried everything possible to ease his suffering; chiropractic care, accupuncture, numerous pain medications, and physio. Despite all the pain, Chubb accomplished many things in his ten short years. I asked Patric and the boys to think about their fondest memory of him to share in this blog; this is our tribute to our best friend who we will never forget.
Tyler and Kayden's memories were shared and they both agreed that he was the best dog ever although sometimes he was cranky. They remember him not liking any dog toys but that his most favorite thing to play with was the little plastic dooey that holds Kinder Surprise toys. Chubb would smell the chocolate treat and go insane, but not for the chocolate. He would wait until the boys pulled apart the plastic tube and eventually throw it on the ground for him. He would play with that plastic piece for hours, tossing it around in his mouth and wag his tail. They both pray for him every single night.
Patric knew him for the least amount of time but loved him none the less. Chubb could be both as grouchy and as happy as him so they made a good pair. Oddly, Patric's "favorite" memory of Chubb involves fecal matter on his new white carpet. Temporarily dog-less, I brought Chubb by unannounced for a visit to Patric's condo. Chubb bounded into the house, tail wagging (as always) yelped his presence and proceeded upstairs to say "Hi" and leave a house warming gift. That this is the favorite memory makes it clear that a love affair was well underway. While he did not get to live the acreage lifestyle for very long, Patric and I both delighted in seeing him take an occasion or two to run like a puppy again in his expansive new yard - he really wasn't up for it but he seemed to like the idea of being a country dog. Patric had the difficult task of taking Chubb to the vet's on his last day and I couldn't think of anyone better to hold onto him safely to the end. To this moment, Patric will swear that, in his last moment, Chubb showed relief in our doing the right thing and easing his persistent pain.

Chubb is in my thoughts everyday and I have had a hard time coming up with one single fond memory of him. The truth is that he completed me and he shared so many life's experiences and challenges with me. He was the most loyal, faithful companion that a person could ever ask for. He was constantly by my side. If I was having a bath, he would be sleeping on the bathmat. If I was out in the evening or perhaps away for a few days, he would not sleep but would pace the back door until my return, sometimes greeting me with blood shot eyes but always with a wagging tail. Chubb was my passenger in the car, my sleeping companion, the shoulder to cry on, and the lick of my face to wipe my tears away. I shared with Chubb my most intimate secrets and thoughts, we shared a mutual trust. Chubb was known to scratch at any door to get to me. Patric and I recently revisited a Bed and Breakfast that we had taken Chubb to during one of his last road trips. We were both happy and sad to see the marks he had left on the door when we so rudely left him in the room while out for breakfast have remained. I will forever feel the emptiness in my heart with Chubb's passing but will always feel complete for having shared his life with him and to have been unconditionally loved by my Chubbers. Until we meet again.....


No comments: